Friday, April 22, 2011

An experiment

At our house when the TV is on, the channel is usually on ESPN, HGTV, or TLC. As a result we have been watching and loving several of the cake decorating shows lately.. and we decided to test our hand at making a cake. We thought.. it can't be that hard.. it looks so easy on TV :)

So - we looked up a recipie for fondant online and headed to the store for all the ingredients. (I never knew glycrin would be an ingredient I'd use for cake frosting) Then when the kids were in bed one night we cooked up and decorated this little cake.


Our neighbors had just had a baby and I was taking them dinner the next night so we decided to decorate it with a little baby girl theme in mind and take it to them. We had so much fun experimenting with fondant and making a little cake! We are making another cake for easter and then another for a dental thing at rich's school so we'll report on how those turn out.

5 comments:

Kim said...

So cute! I love using fondant. It makes the cakes so much cuter (even though it doesn't taste great).

Unknown said...

Love the cake Linds! Are you for hire?;) Looks like you four are doing well! Hope to see you soon!

Sarah said...

Great jOb!! What's the link for the fondant recipe?

Ashley Robinson said...

Linds!! This looks great! I am doing a pastry unit with my students...were going to be having a cake decorating contest. AKA...I know nothing about cakes and fondant. Any tips?!?! xoxo

Lindsey said...

ash - you don't need to know anything about cake or fondant.. just google how to decorate with fondant and watch a couple you tube videos.

you can also watch a couple videos on decorating with frosting - tip - use a plastic sandwich bag fill it with frosting and cut off one of the corners and squeeze out the frosting.