Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Calling all MOMS..

My due date is only 39 days away and I need some advice! I have a crib, a stroller, a carseat, a few outfits and lots of diapers.



For all those moms out there, what do I NEED to have before the baby comes? I'm a little clueless and looking for what you guys wish you had or any tips on what you couldn't have survived without.



Thanks in advance for all your help!!

18 comments:

Taylor Kowallis said...

get Buttpaste! I was and still is a life saver and get swaddlers... you can get them at babies r us, those were a life saver too for sleeping time because they cant get our of it! Good luck!!!

Brett, Kelly, and Amber said...

Where are you planning on having the baby sleep the first few months? We are planning on putting her in a bassinet in our room until she reaches 15 pounds (about 2-3 months). However, she's only going to sleep in it during the night to make the nighttime feedings easier on me. We refuse to let her sleep in our bed with us, hence the use of the bassinet. During the day, she will be sleeping in her crib. We also got the Fisher-Price My Little Lamb swing, it comes highly recommended and we plan on using it at lot from the get-go. It's made for newborns to go in, as well. I'm planning to BF exclusively, but my sister-in-law's all recommend pumping at least once a day so that Brett can take one feeding so that I can get 4 hours of sleep at one time. So I got a Medela Swing Single Electric pump. They also say using it in the beginning helps with BF'ing some. A good diaper bag is also a must - Babies R Us has some awesome Skip Hop ones on sale! Oh and we also have a Diaper Genie Elite (the newest one). That's what I can think of, off the top of my head! Everything we have so far, my family gave us for Christmas. Just register for everything you want (even the stuff you won't use for a few months) for your baby shower! That's what we did. =)

Zane and Lexi said...

Hey Lindsey! Congrats to you soon-to-be parents. What an exciting time! I wish I had a list of "must-haves" before my baby came home. To go along with what has already been mentioned....
breastpads, a carseat mirror (to see the baby in your rearview when driving), a boppy or nursing pillow, bouncy seat or swing for baby to sit in during the day, nursing cover...
These are just a few of the things we couldn't live without. Hope it helps!

Scott and Jamie said...

OK Linds... here's the scoop!
Postpardom Body Essentials: Lansinoh Nipple Cream(hospital usually gives you a few tubes, so you don't need to buy unless they don't give them to you), Johnson's Nursing Pads (MUCH MUCH softer and thicker than the Medela or Lansinoh ones), thick diapers-I mean pads for yourself!, strechy grandma underwear, extra large sports bra for when your milk comes in (if yours swell up to the size of watermelons like mine do) and Tucs Pads (hospital will give you some, you may need more). I can give you advice on all the baby stuff you'll need but then you'll probably just get it all at the baby shower this weekend. If not, I'll definitely fill you in later! And please ask me anything!

A said...

I definitely recommend a bouncer as well. Ours is a bouncer that vibrates, definitely useful for both of my kids. Also, you will be amazed at how many jammies you will use in one day for the first couple months. Sometimes, every time they wake up their jammies will be soaked (either by diaper leakage or spit up) so you will need enough to not have to wash them all every day if you don't want to. I myself never had to use breast pads because my kids are both chunks who sucked everything out every time they ate so I personally would say wait and see on stuff like that but it's up to you. I'm so excited for you!!

Kristi said...

there are so many "must haves"!
-Buttpaste is the best
-Boppy
-Hand sanitizer (much faster after changing diapers all day long)
-nursing cover
-diaper wipes warmer! (babies don't usually like freezing cold wipes next to their warm little bottoms)
-some kind of baby carrier -- a Baby Bjorn, Snuggly, or sling
-Some extra ibuprofen on hand for the nasty post labor contractions you'll have when you're breastfeeding. Trust me, they're not fun.
I'm sooo excited for you. Congratulations and I hope everything goes well with your labor and delivery. Can't wait to see pictures!

Sarah said...

so many good suggestions! I bet you are starting to feel a little CraZy!! We are really excited for you. To add to the list (and second) my favorite new, newborn clothes are teeny onesies made by Gerber size "Just Born" They fit the little one so perfectly, right out of the hospital. Love the bumbo (but that's not till 4 months) & whatever can help you with nursing if you plan to do that. Nursing cover, lasinol ointment, electric pump. Just advice with nursing...be patient if its not perfect at first. It takes me 2 months to really get it down. (oh that's not supposed to scare you...sorry if it did.) Swings are so perfect for those sleepy newborns. They just love them!! I wish you lived nearby & I could lend you stuff. Dang it!

Sarah said...

night light too.

and lots of burp cloths (the cloth diaper ones are the BEST!)

lots & lots of patience, love, & ready for some fUn!!

Andrea said...

BUY MORE DIAPERS. I had no idea how many we'd go thru....

We also go through a TON of burp clothes. Nursing is messy at first! Breast pads are essential too bc u will leak everywhere, but it's much cheaper just to buy cheap maxi pads and cut them in half. Works just as well!

Also, if you can find a swing for agood price, Treyson LOVES his. We found a Fisher Price Nature's Touch cradle on Craigs List for dirt cheap.

I also wish I had gotten a better breast pump, but they're just too expensive. Ours is a Medela single electric (Craigs list buy too), and it does the trick. Really helpful to increase milk production and lets dad have a chance to take over a 4am feeding when you are dying.

Another thing...STOCK YOUR FRIDGE. It's so hard to get to the store without baby the first months, and u HAVE to eat a ton of calories to keep milking..
So excited for u. keep us updated and let me know if u need any hints. I know nothing, but have figured it out slowly - as you will.(sorry...longest comment ever!)

PS Get some Lanolin cream for your nipples. They will HURT at first, but just get thru the first week. :)

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry...but just had another thought. BRING YOUR OWN MEDS TO THE HOSPITAL. They charge you a TON for just a simple Ibeprofan. Buy some Ibeprofan, and stool softeners.

Travis and Emily Leavitt said...

The things I would do different with my next baby is bring a couple of my own very nice pillows to the hospital. Theirs are terrible, and bring something to do it can be very boring. Also bring your own clothing for the baby to the hospital I hate the stuff they had,right after she was born she was already in stuff I had bought plus it made me feel like she was really my baby. Also bring any medication you want for the baby Sadie had really bad gas in the hospital but they didn't have mylicon drops in the hospital so Annoying. I didn't breast feed(wasn't for me) so I can't help there but if you want to know how to get your milk to go away I can help. We had a very pretty bassinet that was so nice to have and it had wheels on it so I could take it all over the house with me. I really like the book baby wise totally helped me with getting Sadie sleeping through the night very early on and getting her on a schedule. Oh and an incline to sleep thing for the baby is so nice. It seems like a lot to handle but really it all is a lot easier than you think. I remember by the end of the first week I was like I could do this again tomorrow its really not that hard. It is all so worth it.

Emily said...

Ok Linds- you need a boppy! The moon shaped pillows. They are great when you are feeding the baby, its comfortable and you can relax a bit. Also Jamie hooked me up with a TV in the babies room, As I fed him in the night, I could watch something if I wanted to, it was so nice. Then when he wakes up in the night and won't settle you can let Rich sleep, and you can have your own relaxing place...

I liked the pacifiers that looked like a green nipple... They are great in the beginning. You can put your finger inside and soothe the baby!

I always played music for Ryan and I enjoyed the calming effect as well. Make sure to put a CD player in the babies room.

Other then that, you should enjoy every minute! We love you!

Liz said...

linds- call me! everyone else has said some good things. but i also want to just talk to you!

Julie said...

I think most of these things have been mentioned already but I will say it again! I really liked pampers swadlers diapers for newborns. Caden leaked like crazy through huggies for some reason, but now that he is older he can use huggies without leaking. Get a bouncy chair, nursing pads, boppy pillow, and baby bjorn. I wouldn't get an electric pump unless you are planning on using it a lot. I've gotten by great with a manual one and it's way cheaper.

I'm so excited for you! He's almost here :)

Uila said...

hey lindsey. wow, it's been so long. congrats on the baby. so i've read everyone else's. i've got one main one to add.
-the "booger ball" is what i call it. it's the thing to suck out the baby's boogers. the one they give you in the hospital is alright but they have the better ones at the store. walmart or target. they are better. you don't have make so many attempts on the small little noses.
good luck!

sarahbclark! said...

so it sounds like you'll be breastfeeding- you'll want a super soft, fluffy towel that is solely yours for after you shower. regular towels do NOT feel nice on roughed up, um, baby feeders. just something i learned.
nursing g's are also not so great. i have the regular kind that are a "chemise style" and have a stretchy neck that pulls down. get em one size larger than normal and you're good to go.
:)

Kim said...

Hey!

I found your blog through Sarah's. How are things? (This is Kim Barlow from your old ward back in Lehi.) I am so excited to learn that you are expecting Congratulations! You guys will be perfect parernts. We enjoyed you so much through being our hometeachers. I hope everything goes well for you. Good Luck!

Jyl... said...

I enjoyed reading all of these suggestions!!! The more babies I've had the less and less stuff I get. I'll I've needed is lots of diapers, oneies, and jammies. (I like the gown ones (even for boys) None of me kids liked the swing so I would see if you could barrow one at first to see if he likes it before you go spend money on one. Just remember, the first baby is the most expensive and it is worth buying things that are a little bit more expensive so that it holds up for babies down the road. You'll know what you need once he gets here and that is what husbands and moms are for... to get them at Target. Have fun and enjoy having a little one. I look forward to seeing pictures.